Windows Error 0x80070057 is related to Windows Update, Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 and Backup & Restore programs.
This error may appear while checking for latest Windows Updates, connecting Microsoft Exchange Server through Microsoft Outlook 2010, backing-up files to a USB Hard Disk Drive or copying files to a Memory Card. The sources of the error are “SoftwareDistribution” folder, problem with Outlook Profile, lack of operational memory and obsolete registry entries.
1. Rename “SoftwareDistribution” Folder
2. Repair the Registry
3. Set up a New Profile
4. Increase the Size of Virtual Memory
5. Free Up the Disk Space
Rename “SoftwareDistribution” Folder
Windows Error 0x80070057 may appear due to problem with the “SoftwareDistribution” folder. This folder is used by Windows Updates service. Thus you need to first of all turn this service off to rename this folder.
Steps are as below:
1. Click Start | Run.
2. Type Services.msc and press ENTER.
3. Right click the service called Automatic Updates.
4. Select Stop option to abort the service.
5. Click Start| Run.
6. Type %SystemRoot% and press ENTER.
7. Right click the SoftwareDistribution folder and select Rename option.
8. Rename it as SoftwareDistribution.OLD
9. Repeat Steps 1 to 3 above.
10. Select Start option.
Obsolete Registry Entries
Windows Error 0x80070057 may appear due to the registry entries referring to files and DLLs that no longer exists. This is a common cause of the problem.
You need to use a Registry Cleaner and PC Optimizer software and perform full system scan. Then, repair the registry and remove obsolete registry entries.
Set up a New Profile
Problem with the existing profile in Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 may result in Windows Error 0x80070057. You have to create a new profile as shown below:
1. Click Start | Control Panel.
2. Press F3 key.
3. Type Mail in the Search Box at the right hand side on the Title Bar.
4. Press ENTER.
5. In the new dialog, click Show Profiles button under Profiles frame.
6. Click Add button.
7. Enter a name for your new profile.
8. Click OK button.
9. In the new wizard Add New Email Account, mark the checkbox named Manually configure server settings or additional server types.
10. Click Next button.
11. Select Microsoft Exchange option from the Choose Email Service page.
12. Click Next button.
13. Enter the name of your Exchange Server from the Microsoft Exchange Settings page.
14. Verify the user name is correct.
15. Click Next button.
16. After the new profile is successfully created, click Finish button.
17. Click OK button in the Mail dialog box.
18. Click Start | All Programs | Microsoft Office | Microsoft Outlook 2010.
Increase the Size of Virtual Memory
While performing some tasks the total memory of your RAM may become insufficient. In such cases, Windows uses Virtual Memory feature. However, less size of Virtual Memory may finally result in Windows Error 0x80070057.
You may need to increase the size of Virtual Memory as below:
1. Right click My Computer, and select Properties.
2. Click Advanced System Settings link.
3. Click Advanced tab.
4. Click Settings button from Performance tab.
5. Click Advanced tab.
6. Click Change button under Virtual Memory frame.
7. Uncheck the box named Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
8. Select your system drive, for example, drive C.
9. Click Custom Size box.
10. Enter a number greater than the existing Virtual Memory.
11. Click Set button to confirm.
12. Click OK | OK | OK.
13. Restart the computer for the changes to take effects.
Free Up the Disk Space
Low disk space may lead to problems performing the tasks conducted by your operating system. Windows Error 0x80070057 may appear due to lack of required free disk space. Hence, you are recommended to delete the unneeded stuff from your hard disk.