Sometimes, you might need to access your Notes contacts in MS Outlook. Particularly, if you are using Lotus Notes and wish to migrate or move to another popular email client Microsoft Outlook. You might have tried hard to gain access to Lotus Notes Contacts or emails in Outlook but fail to achieved it, the reason is the platform incompatibility and variations in file formats that both the email clients support.
Therefore, you must need to convert NSF files to PST format in order to gain access to data in different versions of Outlook. However, there are two different ways of exporting data from Lotus Notes email client to another popular and affordable desktop email client Outlook:
- Manually exports NSF file to Outlook PST
- Automated NSF to PST Conversion
Understand NSF to PST Conversion Criteria
Since both IBM Lotus Notes and Microsoft Outlook does not support NSF and PST altogether, any of the given email clients does not offer any straightforward conversion or export process. You need to implement different steps to accomplish the process
- Export NSF mailbox’s contacts to CSV (Comma Separated Values) file
- Import CSV contacts to Outlook Contacts folder via Import & Export Wizard
Step 1: Export Lotus Notes NSF Contacts to CSV
For getting started, copy all Contacts to a CSV file as it will make the export process easier. Once, all the contacts are copied, follow the given procedure to export contacts.
- Go to File and select Export Contacts.
- Select the file that you need to export, name it and then save it as CSV file.
- Now carefully select the options and contacts to export.
- Click Export.
Your Lotus Notes contacts will be easily exported to the CSV file. You can now access the CSV file from the location to which it is stored. Open the file and clean the columns, and once you are done with the cleaning process, you need to import contacts to Outlook 2010/2013.
Step 2: Import CSV File to MS Outlook
MS Outlook facilitates to import PST or CSV format through built-in Import & Export function. You can follow the given procedure in accomplishing the import contacts process:
- Go to File menu and then select Open
- Click on Import and then select Import from another file or program
- Next, click on Comma Separated Values
- Now, select the CSV file you recently exported contacts to and click Next
- Next, select an appropriate option from the given alternates:
- Replace duplicates with items imported
- Allow duplicates to be created
- Do not import duplicate items
- Once you select an option, click Next
- Then select Mailbox and then Contacts (or, alternatively, you can select another desired location to save contacts)
- Click on Next and then click on Finish
By following the above mentioned procedure, you can import all your contacts to Outlook in an access-ready format.
Procedure to Import NSF Contacts through OWA
Apart from Outlook Import and Export wizard, you can also import contacts to Outlook through OWA (Outlook Web App). To do so, you have to follow the below steps –
- Go to the File and select Contacts
- View the Import button available right above the search contact box
- Now select the file that you need to export
- Then click on Next. All your contacts will be imported to the specified location.
Automated Hassle Free NSF to PST Conversion
While performing the manual task to export Lotus Notes contacts to Outlook 2010, 2013 or any other version, the security of data cannot be promised. In addition, the manual conversion is time consuming and requires quite an expertise and core knowledge of the process.