Today I am providing configurations tips on some of the most important things in Windows XP/2000 such as Outlook express, Internet connection sharing, configuring a printer, enable/disable firewall and making user accounts in Windows XP Professional.
How to Configure Outlook Express?
You can configure the outlook express to send and receive the emails by the following methods.
- Open Outlook express.
- Next enter your display name and press the next button.
- Enter your default email address where you want to receive the emails.
- In the “Incoming mail POP3, IMAP or HTTP server” box enter the POP3 settings. (You may get these settings from your local ISP). It will be something like this pop.yourisp.com. (POP3 is used for receiving the emails.)
- In the outgoing mail (SMTP server) enter the settings as provided you by your local ISP. It may be something like this smtp.yourisp.com. (SMTP is used for sending the emails).
- After filling both the above boxes click next. In the next screen (Internet Mail Logon), enter the user name and password as provided to you by your local ISP.
- Click next and then finish.
Note: If you want to add more email accounts in your Outlook express, you can do it by the following method.
- Open outlook express
- Open Tools menu > Accounts > Mail > Click Add button on the right side and click Mail.
- Here you can repeat all the above mentioned settings to configure the new email accounts.
How to Install & Configure Printer in Windows XP/Windows 2000?
- Start > Control Panel > Double click printer and faxes.
- On the left side click Add a printer and click next
- Here either you can install local printer that is directly attached to your computer or you can setup a network printer.
- Select “Local printer attached to this computer and also check this option “Automatically plug and install my plug and play printer. Windows will search and install the drives for the newly attached plug and play printers.
- If Windows is unable to automatically detect the printer and install the driver, you will get this error message “The wizard was unable to detect any plug and play printers”. Now click the next button to manually install the printers. How to Enable/Disable Firewall?
- On the next page use LPT1 port for the printer and press the next button.
- On the next page click “Have Disk” and press browse to give the path of the CD-ROM that contains the driver.
- Press OK to install the driver.
How to Make User Accounts in Windows XP?
You can make the user accounts in Windows XP by the following method.
- Start > Control Panel > User Accounts
- Click create a new account
- Type the name of the account and click next
- You can pick the account type either Computer Administrator or limited and press create account.